About Me

My photo
I've been making things since I was very young. My first-grade notebooks are full of doodles and drawings. My mom sewed, and on her classic black and gold, 1945-era Singer, I started sewing pieces of fabric together, then doll clothes, and by 7th grade I was making my own dresses for school. I began college in 1968 as an Art major, and continued to experiment with many different media. As a young married woman (age 20!) I began making all my gifts at Christmas time for family members: ornaments, stuffed animals, and many other things. I made curtains and re-upholstered furniture for all the houses we lived in. I took inspiration from every source: magazines and books, nature, museums, stores and TV shows. I've tried pottery, oil painting, water-color painting, fabric crafts of all kinds, knitting, crochet, paper collage, beading and jewelry making, shell crafts, furniture painting, paper-mache creations, doll-making, quilting.....you name it, I've probably given it a try. I still get excitement from seeing something that makes me think, "I CAN DO THAT!!", and I go home and get started.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cloth napkins and matching wine charms

Hoop earring forms, use pliers to bed the end AFTER putting on beads


We'll start with something small and easy to do: cloth napkins and wine charms.  I always shop the sale racks at fabric and craft stores, and also find a lot of cool fabric in the remnant bins.  This "retro" fabric was sold as "fat quarters" (18" x 24") and I fell immediately for the colors and design.  I cut each piece of fabric to 18" square, then ironed 1/8" hems onto the edges.  When you sew the hems, turn that 1/8 " hem again to get a nice finished seam.  Another good way to sew easy and very durable cloth napkins is to make them double-sided: sew two 18" pieces together, face to face, using a 1/4" seam.  Leave a small opening to turn right-side-out, press, then hand-stitch the open area.  You can then top-stitch all around the edges, at about 1/4" from edge.
To make the wine charms, buy inexpensive hoop earrings at craft or bead stores;  then thread on your choice of beads and/or purchased charms.  You'll need a small pliers to bend down the end of the hoop to keep the beads from falling off and to hook into the loop on the other end of the earring.

No comments:

Post a Comment