About Me

My photo
I've been making things since I was very young. My first-grade notebooks are full of doodles and drawings. My mom sewed, and on her classic black and gold, 1945-era Singer, I started sewing pieces of fabric together, then doll clothes, and by 7th grade I was making my own dresses for school. I began college in 1968 as an Art major, and continued to experiment with many different media. As a young married woman (age 20!) I began making all my gifts at Christmas time for family members: ornaments, stuffed animals, and many other things. I made curtains and re-upholstered furniture for all the houses we lived in. I took inspiration from every source: magazines and books, nature, museums, stores and TV shows. I've tried pottery, oil painting, water-color painting, fabric crafts of all kinds, knitting, crochet, paper collage, beading and jewelry making, shell crafts, furniture painting, paper-mache creations, doll-making, quilting.....you name it, I've probably given it a try. I still get excitement from seeing something that makes me think, "I CAN DO THAT!!", and I go home and get started.

Monday, August 23, 2010

APRONS

Made from an old table cloth with fabric and vintage trim

This one is reversible!


Craft aprons with appliqued letters and flowers
Made from a thrift store long dress, with vintage trim

This year has been an apron-making frenzy for me.  I got started because I always wear an apron for cooking and crafting, because I make such a mess of my clothes if I don't!!  So, I figured this would be great gift material for friends and family, who, if they DON'T use aprons, they SHOULD!  So far I've completed and given 13 aprons, including the 7 for a friend's wedding toast (see LETTER aprons above), 2 as gifts for Mikey's Costa Rican mom and sister, and birthday gifts for friends. I have about 6 more completed and ready to gift.   I plan to post some patterns and instructions in the near future.  I use old aprons as patterns; I have several vintage ones that I found in Great Aunt Mildred's house in Salida.  In craft stores you can purchase plain white canvas aprons that you can decorate in lots of ways, as I did with the appliqued letters.  Fun and useful project, and easy.  A fabric note:  I shop for "fabric" at the local second-hand shops...... an extra-large man's shirt or a long dress can give up a pretty cool apron!!

No comments:

Post a Comment