About Me

My photo
I've been making things since I was very young. My first-grade notebooks are full of doodles and drawings. My mom sewed, and on her classic black and gold, 1945-era Singer, I started sewing pieces of fabric together, then doll clothes, and by 7th grade I was making my own dresses for school. I began college in 1968 as an Art major, and continued to experiment with many different media. As a young married woman (age 20!) I began making all my gifts at Christmas time for family members: ornaments, stuffed animals, and many other things. I made curtains and re-upholstered furniture for all the houses we lived in. I took inspiration from every source: magazines and books, nature, museums, stores and TV shows. I've tried pottery, oil painting, water-color painting, fabric crafts of all kinds, knitting, crochet, paper collage, beading and jewelry making, shell crafts, furniture painting, paper-mache creations, doll-making, quilting.....you name it, I've probably given it a try. I still get excitement from seeing something that makes me think, "I CAN DO THAT!!", and I go home and get started.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Back at it!!

Wow!!  It's been a while since I posted.  I got through the Christmas Fair, sales were pretty slow; small town fairs just don't have the volume to do big numbers.  Oh well.  I have lots of inventory, and have been getting my Etsy shop in order.  Takes longer than I had thought to photograph, label and post each item.  Check out the shop if you have time:  RioFrioStudio on the Etsy website.


Meanwhile, between little trips to warmer climes to play golf, I continue in my "Fiber Frenzy" mode:  knitting and crocheting anytime I sit down to watch TV.  It's amazing how much you can accomplish using those bits and pieces of time!  Here are some pictures of works in progress (I can NEVER work on just one thing.....I need the variety to stay interested!)
A BABY BLANKET IN "BOBBLES", SOMETHING I LEARNED FROM A PINTEREST POST

I call this one OREO, another blanket, baby-sized

Been going on this one for a while, it will be a bedspread...HUGE!!  A ripple pattern I learned on the Attic24 blog, one of my favorite places to get "hooky" inspiration

The beginning of a junior-sized blanket in fall colors

Medium sized blanket, done in a "Granny Ripple", a pattern also found on Pinterest

A selection of bits and pieces of granny squares and Japanese flowers.  Can you tell I'm trying to use a lot of yarn from my stash????




Also, I got a nifty new machine that scans old 110, 35mm film and slides, and I've been working on the OLD Mexico pictures.  I pulled out my journals from our first two trips in the 70s, and all of it should make for an interesting history/picture book.  


That's it for now.  I'm looking forward to a few weeks in Florida, away from the cold and snow.  I'll leave all this artsy/fartsy stuff behind and focus on my golf game.  I'm not NEARLY as good at golf as I am mastering the fiber arts  :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment